Migration of a Workload running in a Corporate Data Center to AWS using the Amazon EC2 and RDS service
In another project based in a real-world scenario, I acted as the Cloud Specialist responsible for migrating a workload running in a Corporate DataCenter to AWS.
The application and database were migrated to AWS using the Lift & Shift (rehost) model, moving both application and database data.
I followed some migration steps: Planning (sizing, prerequisites, resource naming), Execution (resource provisioning, best practices), Go-live (validation test — Dry-run, final migration — Cutover).
The main step by step execution is around below steps
- Create VPC
- Create Subnets and associate subnets to the VPC. Also important fact is to remember to not have overlapping ips.
- configure Gateway and also the route , so that gateway can provide access to outside world.
- Setting up EC2 instances followed by adding them to public subnet.
- Setting up RDS and setting into private subnet.
- Accessung EC2 instance via SSH using pem key and gitbash. This will allow to access EC2 instance form local machine and install OS and other application on EC2 instance.
- Once EC2 instance is being accessed , we need to install all important apps like python, pip , MySQL client etc.
- finally we access RDS via public IP from this terminal and upload all data to MySQL db using MySQL client.
- Once data is added in tables. We can execute the application from app server after updating the DB host on wikiapp file.
Its a good exercise to get hands dirty on a project where you standup and App which used DB. more details can also be found on aws website.
More detailed steps can also be found in my other article link